Skip to main content

Reflections on PME 815 content learning

Key Learnings

Principles of POUR

(2024)
A Venn Diagram of four interconnected pink circles. Each circle has one word from the POUR principle (Perceivable, Operable, Understandable, Robust)

I felt this was one of the most significant pieces of learning in the PME 815 course. My ignorance about the layers of this principle and the different ways to improve accessibility for users was significant. The course reading on the topic was useful, as were some other resources I accessed to get a deeper understanding. The Inclusion and Accessibility Lab website added the Level A, AA and AAA component as well which was also new to me (2024). I found the video from the National Center on Accessible Education put this concept in a way that as a teacher I can consider it actively in my classroom. I also liked the consideration we need to give to resource development (textbooks etc).

Break the Fake

This was by far the topic I found most applicable to my classroom and which I feel should be integrated by all teachers into their lessons involving research and information gathering. The engaging video provided in the course, alongside the resources available on the MediaSmarts website were clearly structured and very applicable to all teachers. In the future, I would love to see how AI can and will also be incorporated into this discussion, but for now the images and content "faking" was interesting and relevant (n.d.).

(n.d.)
A blue and orange poster outlining the four ways to check if an online piece of information is true or not. It includes images/icons of magnifying glasses and lamps to connect to the methods: fact checking tools; find the source; verify the course; and check other sources. 


Works Cited

MediaSmarts. (n.d.). Break the fake: Printable posters and bookmarks. Break the Fake. https://mediasmarts.ca/break-fake-printable-posters-bookmarks

National Center on Accessible Education. (2018, February 26). Designing for accessibility with pour. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzzlJQXmJIw

Understanding the pour principles of accessibility - IA labs. IA Labs - Digital Inclusion, Your legal obligation. (2024, February 1). https://ialabs.ie/understanding-the-pour-principles-of-accessibility/



Comments